Simple, sweet, and delicious frosting for cakes and cupcakes.
Vanilla Buttercream FrostingSimple, sweet, and delicious frosting for cakes and cupcakes.Mandi Lynn
- Start with room temperature butter in a mixer with whisk attachment. Beat butter on high speed until very light and fluffy. This will take at least 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl as needed.
- Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in the vanilla after the first addition of sugar. Drizzle in the milk as you add the sugar to keep the mixture smooth. For a stiffer frosting, use less milk. For a thinner consistency, use more.
- Beat all ingredients until the frosting is light and fluffy. Frosting may be kept in the refrigerator for several days or the freezer for several months. To use after storing, allow it to come to room temperature, then beat until fluffy.
- Spread onto cooled cake or pipe onto cupcakes. Don't forget to lick your fingers!
- You may sub almond, peppermint, or other flavors for the vanilla, citrus juice for some of the milk for different flavors, 1/2 cup of cocoa powder for powdered sugar to make a chocolate frosting, or cut the butter to 1/4 cup and add 1/4 cup peanut butter for peanut butter frosting. Experiment!
- This amount will frost one double layer cake or 3 dozen cupcakes