These cookies are a tradition in my family especially around Christmas time, but are good for any time of year. Decorate for whatever occasion you prefer!
Soft Sugar CookiesThese cookies are a tradition in my family especially around Christmas time, but are good for any time of year. Decorate for whatever occasion you prefer!Mandi Lynn
Lite Corn Syrup or Simple Sugar Syrup
Vanilla or Almond Extract
- Cream together shortening and white sugar until fluffy (it's best to use a hand beater or stand mixer). Add eggs, milk, and 1 tsp vanilla and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to wet mixture a little at a time, forming a soft ball of dough. Refridgerate for an hour to make dough firm.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll out to about 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters or the rim of a drinking glass. Collect dough scraps and continue until all dough has been used.
- Bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes. Do not let cookies become brown, and do not overcook, else they will become hard. Cool cookies completely before decorating.
- For the frosting, place confectioner's sugar, milk, syrup, and almond OR vanilla flavoring into a bowl and mix with a hand mixer or stand mixer until well combined. Frosting should not be runny, but about the thickness of thick oatmeal.
- Add food coloring to create desired colors for frosting, then spread or pipe onto cookies. Frosting should harden in about 90 minutes.