A famous Egyptian dish made with rice, lentils, pasta and a spicy tomato sauce.
KusharyA famous Egyptian dish made with rice, lentils, pasta and a spicy tomato sauce.Mandi Lynn
Small pasta, or spaghetti broken into pieces
1 in 1/2 Cups
Tins of 2
Apple cider vinegar
- Pick through lentils and add to a pot, cover with water, add a dash of salt, and bring to the boil. Cook for 20 minutes then drain and set aside.
- While the lentils are cooking, wash the rice. Mince one onion and slice two onions into very thin semi circles. Heat some olive oil the the bottom of a pot and add the one minced onion and cook until soft. Add rice, stir to coat with oil, and cook for one or two minutes.
- Combine cooked and drained lentils with rice, another dash of salt, and add enough water to cover. Bring to boil and then lower heat to medium. Cook for 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- While the rice and lentils are cooking, add minced garlic, tomato sauce, and salt/pepper/cayenne pepper and check for taste. Adjust as necessary to fit your personal preferences. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, then stir in vinegar.
- Boil the pasta in well salted water until aldente. Toss with a bit of olive oil and set aside.
- While everything is cooking, heat about 1/2 in of oil in a pan and add the two sliced onions. Cook on medium heat until golden brown and crispy, then transfer to paper towels to drain oil.
- To assemble the dish, layer the rice and lentil mixture, follwed by the pasta, then the sauce, and finally the fried onions.